1. How do I volunteer with GLIDE?29
2. How do I sign up to serve a meal?30
3. How do I volunteer in other programs?31
4. How do I schedule a group to volunteer?32
5. How large of a group can GLIDE accommodate?33
6. Is there a minimum commitment to volunteer?34
7. What if I have to leave early?35
8. What is the minimum age requirement to volunteer?36
9. How should I dress?37
10. Will I be placed in the program of my choice?38
11. How can I track hours for my school's community service requirements?39
1. How do I volunteer with GLIDE?
There are many ways to volunteer with GLIDE. You can sign up to serve a meal through our website at any time, 7 days per week. Glide serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. Please refer to next question for details on signing up.You may also become a volunteer with one our many programs. To find out more about becoming a program volunteer, you must attend one of our Volunteer Information Sessions, which are held the first Monday of every month, except in November and December. Back to top40
2. How do I sign up to serve a meal?
Go to our Serve a Meal41 page and select a date on the calendar to view and sign up for available shifts. To serve a meal on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, go to our Holiday Opportunities42 page any time after November 1st to view and sign up for available shifts. B43ack to top44
3. How do I volunteer in other programs?
Your first step is to attend a Volunteer Information Session. These are held the first Monday of every month, January through October, from 6:30pm - 7:30 pm in Room 206 (with the exception of holidays, ie Labor Day etc). A complete list of dates available in our "All Other Opportunities Section." Once you have attended the initial information session, you will be asked to come back for an interview. Once you have been interviewed and we determine that your service is a good fit for one of Glide’s various programs, we will place you in the appropriate program based on need and availability. Back to top.45
4. How do I schedule a group to volunteer?
For group scheduling, follow these steps:
- Go to http://volunteer.glide.org (there is no www.)
- If you've never visited the site before, click register. Otherwise, sign in using your e-mail address and password.
- Select any shift that still needs volunteers (#of volunteers needed is shown for each shift)
Call the volunteer department at 415-674-6081 to learn how to get your group ready for their service experience!
Back to top.48
5. How large of a group can GLIDE accommodate?
Groups serving meals can be up to 20 or even 25 people. When scheduling a group, please check to make sure there are enough volunteer spots available during that shift. Availability is listed below each shift on the Serve a Meal49 page. Back to the top50
6. Is there a minimum commitment to volunteer?
For meal service, we ask that you commit a minimum of two hours.
Program volunteers make commitments between 6 months to a year depending on the program. All Glide program volunteers make a minimum 6 month commitment with a 2-3 hour per week average of service. Back to top51
7. What if I have to leave early?
If you think you will have a conflict in your schedule with regard to your meal service shift, please decline from coming in that day and sign up for a day where you can serve the entire 2.5 hour shift. Once you are here, we expect you to stay for the duration of your shift. Program volunteers will be working primarily with a program manager who you can work out all scheduling needs and concerns. Back to top52
8. What is the minimum age requirement to volunteer?
The minimum age requirement to serve breakfast, lunch, or dinner is 12. However, we allow children age 9 and up to assist with bagging lunches. All persons under the age of 18 are required to have their waiver signed by their parent or guardian and submitted before the volunteer shift. Back to top53
9. How should I dress?
Please wear closed-toed shoes and shirts with sleeves (T-shirts are good, just no tank-tops) when volunteering in our Meals Program. Volunteers are encouraged to dress comfortably and use common sense with their choice of attire. Back to top54
10. Will I be placed in the program of my choice?
We cannot guarantee that you will be placed in the program of your choice due to availability, but we will do everything in our power to accommodate your preferences. Back to top55
11. How can I track hours for my school's community service requirements?
If you're coming from a school and you need to keep track of your volunteering, please ask kitchen staff for the blue school time-sheet each time you volunteer. These time sheets are for you to keep as a record of your service and are not otherwise documented here at GLIDE. After you finish all your shifts, you can come to the volunteer office in room 209 to get a letter confirming your service if your school requires one. Back to top56